I have over 10 years experience working in writing centers, working collaboratively with writers ranging from displaced industrial workers drafting their first resumes to CEOs looking to polish a grant proposal. I've written about motorcycle rallies and chiropractic technique with the same passion and diligence I use to create lesson plans or research a feature article. You might say I'm a chronic word junky.
The University of Pittsburgh
Master of Fine Arts in Creative Nonfiction, 2008
• President and co-creator of Creative Nonfiction Society
• Editor of The Creative Nonfiction Survival Guide, 2007 Edition
Master's Certificate in Women's Studies, 2008
• Relevant coursework in Masculinities Studies, Writing Gender
Master's Certificate in Teaching Composition, 2008
• Relevant coursework with Dave Bartholomae, Jim Seitz, and Jean Carr
The Pennsylvania State University
Bachelor of Arts in English, 2003
• Honor's (With Distinction) Thesis: Factory Girl, a memoir. Toby Thompson, advisor
The University of Exeter
Junior Year Abroad, 2001
University of Pittsburgh, 2008 to 2012
• Instructor of Composition and Professional Communication courses
• Instructor for Composition courses
Osher Institute for Lifelong Learning, 2008
• Instructor for Reading Gender, Food Literature courses
Allegheny Intermediate Unit Gifted Education Apprenticeship Program, 2006 to 2008
• Instructor for High School Memoir Writing course
Academic Support Services for Student Athletes, 2005 to 2008
• Graduate Student Assistant: Writing and Composition Tutor
Western Pennsylvania Writing Project Young Writers' Institute, 2006
• Teaching Fellow for creative writers' course
• Workshop leader for elementary school nonfiction courses
• Resume/job skills tutor for displaced industrial workers
Penn State Writing Center, 2000-2003
• Writing Tutor/Peer Tutor Coordinator
Areas of Expertise
I've worked with academically under-prepared students individually, in small groups, and at the helm of an intensive, 6-hour weekly writing and reading comprehension course. Introducing this student population to academic discourse while incorporating challenging reading and writing assignments and foundational writing skills has proved to be an exciting challenge.
Drawing on my professional experience in corporate communication, I have led courses preparing students to write in the workplace. My syllabi include units on grant proposals, email ettiquette, and new/social media, among other forms of written professional communication.
My experience with memoir and narrative nonfiction contributes to my creative writing syllabi, where I offer students opportunities to explore immersion experiences, the literature of food, sports writing, and travel narratives. My studies in the composition program at the University of Pittsburgh have led me to teach students to find the argument present in all forms of writing, and creative writing is no exception. My courses focus student writing on the "so what" element of each piece, so they are creating work that adds to the larger conversation of society.
Women's Rugby World Cup, 2006
• Press Correspondent
Journal of Intergenerational Relationships, 2005 to 2006
• Editorial Assistant/Graduate Student Researcher
Rugby Magazine, 2005
• Managing Editor/Feature Writer
Pearson Education, 2004
• Editorial Assistant
• Freelance copyeditor
Hypatia: A Journal of Feminist Philosophy, 2003
• Editorial Assistant
"Factory Girl," Spoken Word panel. Working Class Studies Association, June 2009.
Introduction to Keynote Address. NCPTW, October 2007.
“Peer Tutors as Peer Leaders: Undergraduate Administration of Undergraduate Writing Centers.” Joint presentation with Soma Kedia and Jess Lackey. NCPTW/MWCA, October 2002.
Co-leader, International Cesarean Awareness Network, Southwestern PA Chapter, 2010-Present
Member of the National Book Critics Circle, 2007-Present
Coach, Allegheny Rugby Union U23 All Star Team, 2009-Present
Player/Media Relations Officer/Match Secretary, Pittsburgh Angels Rugby Football Club, 2005-Present
Coach, Morris Girls’ U-19 Rugby Program, Spring 2005
USA Rugby Level 2 Certified Coach, 2005-Present
Positive Coaching Alliance Certified Double Goal Coach, 2005
Player/Treasurer, Morris Women’s Rugby Football Club, 2003–2005
Player, University of Exeter Women’s Rugby Football Club, 2001
Player, Penn State University Women’s Rugby Football Club 1999–2003