According to all the timelines (and my midwives) I need to pack my birthing bag this weekend because I’ll be 36 weeks and Octagon could come at any time. Part of me thinks this is crazy, since of course Octagon will gestate for 41+ weeks just like his darn brother. Most of me thinks this is awesome, because I like nothing more than pre-planning and practice packing.
Last time, I packed way too much crap. And it wasn’t the right crap. 5 pairs of cheapo socks to wear while birthing? Bah. Several changes of clothes? Who has the energy to put on clothes? It was all I could do to put on some sweatpants to go home. Underwear? I wore those disposable mesh hospital numbers happily!
But I didn’t have my own towel or shower stuff. And let me tell you–hospital towels are not really towels. They are more like scratchy, over-sized washcloths. In fact, I think I used a bigger washcloth at the Sheraton for our trip a few weeks ago.
Last time, I disrobed and donned a hospital gown as suggested, until I realized that I needed to be totally naked. Then I stayed that way through many, many hours of contractions and didn’t give a fart who saw me that way. Just in case birthing-Katy wants to have clothes on this time, I think I’ll go ahead and wear a sports bra and some sort of comfortable outfit I don’t mind soiling. Maybe a dress? Otherwise, I’m really ok wearing a hospital gown for a few days.
I’m going to let Corey worry about his own crap, because I love that man but I can’t deal with his nonsense when it comes to packing or planning. As for me and Octagon, this is what we’re bringing:
- 2 shirts and 1 pair of pants for going home. Chances are, 1 of the shirts will get wrecked. Hence, 2.
- My Boppy pillow. For nursing. Those hospital pillows aren’t sufficient.
- 2 of our own baby blankets, because they are softer
- 2 going home outfits for Octy, because his brother barfed on his going home outfit and I didn’t have a spare and I now know better.
- My nursing tank!
- A towel
- many, many tubes of lip balm
- travel shower stuff
- maybe some socks? My feet are always stinking hot anyway. And I’m certain I won’t wear them during my birthing time.
- snazzy new nursing bra
- charger for my phone (which is a camera and computer all in one!)
- case for my glasses
- birth vision
- smutty magazine, like People or US Weekly
And I don’t think I’m going to pack anything else. If I wind up with a RC/S, my mom can bring me additional things for an extended stay. If all goes well, I want to get the heck out of there as soon as possible. I just want to make sure I pack a big enough bag to take advantage of taking things (like many, many spare pairs of the hospital mesh underwear and those pink plastic bins that are SO great for so many things).
Am I missing something crucial? Was your bag packing different for subsequent babies?