I am a bit beside myself. I’ve been nominated for something called a Liebster award, which is a way for small bloggers to give recognition to other small bloggers (200 followers or fewer). What a wonderful thing to discover while reading one of my favorite blogs! So, I’d like to begin my acceptance speech by thanking Allison of Two Moms Two Be for nominating me–I’ve loved reading their blog, chronicling life with their expanding family. I see them write about similar joys and also similar struggles with kids and employment and balance.
When you’re nominated for a Liebster, here’s what you do:
1. Thank the Liebster Blog presenter who nominated you and link back to their blog.
2. Nominate 11 blogs who you feel deserve to be noticed and leave a comment on their blog letting them know they have been chosen.
3. Answer the 11 questions you were asked and create 11 questions for your nominees. [I love this because I always begin teaching writing classes with an exercise in creating questions that are not cliched and the students and I have great fun thinking of questions for each other]
4. Display the Liebster Award logo.
5. No tag backs, meaning you can’t just re-nominate the person who nominated you.
So, here are the questions I’ve been asked:
1. What is your quirkiest quirk? I cannot stop picking at my blemishes. I pick until they are gaping wounds.
2. What is your favourite song and what do you like about it? Right now, I’m way into singing “The Lion Sleeps Tonight,” because I just really love the chorus and it always puts me in a good mood.
3. What do you like doing in your spare time? If I had spare time, I’d spend it exercising, then cooking something complicated, then knitting something fascinating.
4. What is something you wish you were better at? I wish I were better at being patient. I’m hopelessly impatient in all ways.
5. What made you fall in love with your partner? I love the way he meticulously rigs up solutions to problems. For instance, we don’t have a clothesline and Corey wanted to sun-dry his athletic wear, so he strung straps and bungee cords and hiking ropes to make a web in the back yard to dangle his performance socks.
6. What is your favourite colour combination? Blue + Orange
7. If you could do anything for a living (including stay-at-home parenting), what would it be? Writer!
8. If you could do anything for a living (including stay-at-home parenting), what would it be? Still writer
9. What is your favourite physical attribute? I used to really love my eyelashes, but they all fell out after Miles was born. Instead, I’ll give some loving to my powerful thighs.
10. Do you prefer cooking or baking? Cooking
11. If you could change something about your past, would you? If yes, how do you think this change would affect who you are today? What a tough question for the finish. I will say that I would change my past so that I birthed Miles vaginally. This would, I believe, change my present by kicking off my parenting experience with more confidence in my body’s biological functioning and the way it translates to my innate ability to nurture my child. I think I’d feel more connected to the circle of my female relatives who’ve blasted out babies and gone on to (in my eyes) mother with grace. This would most likely have led to me birthing Felix vaginally and avoiding months of intense, painful, grotesque surgical recovery this time around. It also would have changed our family planning, because we’d have been able to safely put a smaller distance between children and think more positively about a potential third.
So there you have it. As for my nominees, I’m not entirely sure how to tell if a blog has more than 200 followers, so I hope the people I picked are not offended–I think all of them should have hundreds of thousands of followers. I also realize that answering questions such as these might not fit into the aesthetic of all the blogs I selected, since some of them are very themed, and that’s ok. I choose them because I love to read them, even if I don’t always remember to comment. The 11 blogs I choose for the Liebster award are (in no particular order):
1. A Heart In Progress
2. Charmingly Modern
3. The E is for Erin
4. While the Water Boils
5. I Hope This Old Train Breaks Down
6. These Sandwich Days
7. Warm As Pie
8. Imperfectly Whole
9. Previously On
10. Bilgewater Cocktail
11. Domestica Horribilis
Here are my questions for my nominees:
1. What sort of milk do you prefer to drink?
2. Do you prefer baths or showers and why?
3. What percentage cocoa do you prefer your chocolate to contain?
4. What is your about-to-begin-the-workday ritual?
5. Describe your perfect lunch meal.
6. What are your thoughts on flavored dental floss?
7. What is the most important thing about a dwelling? (Bonus: does your dwelling succeed at this thing?)
8. Do you really untie your shoes before you remove them? Every time?
9. What is your goal in blogging?
10. What part(s) of your current life is/are the way you imagined when you were in middle school?
11. What would you say to your young self if you encountered her on her first day of college?